Summer & Internships
- Pittsburgh Innovation & Performance, Data Science Intern
- The City of Pittsburgh’s Department of Innovation and Performance is looking for an intern with experience in data analysis, coding and geospatial analysis. This knowledge is essential for all applicants.
- Accepted Interns will work directly with the Analytics & Strategy Team, as well as the Western Pennsylvania Regional Data Center and other City Departments as needed.
Coordinates work in conjunction with project timelines.
May collect regional data from national sources for the Pittsburgh region.
May prepare and publish Open Data sets.
May research best practices for municipal applications.
May develop applications (coding, programming).
May analyze statistical data, complete surveys, perform research and develop reports.
May provide general administrative support to staff.
Performs such other related tasks and duties that are assigned or required.
- Note: This position is posted on a continuous basis to cover internship opportunities through Spring of 2018. Application Deadlines for Summer, Fall and Spring are listed below:Summer 2017 (May-Aug) – May 15, 2017 // Fall 2017 (Sep-Dec) – August 28, 2017 // Spring 2018 (Jan-April) – December 11, 2017
- Application and more details here
Full Time Jobs
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Office of Data and Digital Technology, senior Data Scientist
- Support a culture of open government and performance-based innovations driven from big data across the state of PA. To fully expand the opportunity presented by big data, an analytical approach must be created that helps address the challenges of acquiring data, evaluating it value, distilling it, building models and forward looking analytics to enable evidenced-based decision-making. The candidate should be able to coordinate with Commonwealth Agencies to understand business needs and approaches to evaluating potential big-data solutions and analyze data to identify and efficiently package high-value datasets. The Data Scientist should define and establish data science driven business analytics with extensive use of statistical analysis, including explanatory and predictive modeling for creating new analytical models and algorithms to pull data together and make decisions about which patterns are meaningful.
- The candidate should have more than five years’ experience with:
- Developing complex and analytical methods and models
- Data formatting, capture, search, retrieval, extraction, classification and information filtering techniques
- Public/Open Data and social media platforms
- Data mining architectures, modeling standards, reporting and data analysis methodologies
- Data engineering, database file systems optimization, API’s, and analytics as a service
- Experience with analytic software such as R, Python or SAS
- Experience with GIS, spatial data and graph database is helpful
- Telecommuting options and highly competitive salary negotiable. Interested candidates should respond to: RA-OAODDTODGENERAL@PA.GOV