Summer & Internships
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Digital Design
- The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Digital Design department is seeking a talented web developer to join the newsroom for a Summer 2017 paid internship. We are looking for an individual who can help the PG develop tools that journalists can use to tell better stories.
- More specifically, this summer’s challenge is to develop an API that would allow data analysts in our newsroom to build interactive maps using Google Maps or OpenStreetMaps.
- Eligible candidates must be a student in good standing at a college or university and have a strong grasp of web application software, computer programming and information technology. No previous journalism experience is required (previous internship experience is preferred). Internships run from May through August for no fewer than three months.
- Deadline: March 31st. Full job description & application details here.
Full Time Jobs
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Office of Data and Digital Technology, senior Data Scientist
- Support a culture of open government and performance-based innovations driven from big data across the state of PA. To fully expand the opportunity presented by big data, an analytical approach must be created that helps address the challenges of acquiring data, evaluating it value, distilling it, building models and forward looking analytics to enable evidenced-based decision-making. The candidate should be able to coordinate with Commonwealth Agencies to understand business needs and approaches to evaluating potential big-data solutions and analyze data to identify and efficiently package high-value datasets. The Data Scientist should define and establish data science driven business analytics with extensive use of statistical analysis, including explanatory and predictive modeling for creating new analytical models and algorithms to pull data together and make decisions about which patterns are meaningful.
- The candidate should have more than five years’ experience with:
- Developing complex and analytical methods and models
- Data formatting, capture, search, retrieval, extraction, classification and information filtering techniques
- Public/Open Data and social media platforms
- Data mining architectures, modeling standards, reporting and data analysis methodologies
- Data engineering, database file systems optimization, API’s, and analytics as a service
- Experience with analytic software such as R, Python or SAS
- Experience with GIS, spatial data and graph database is helpful
- Telecommuting options and highly competitive salary negotiable. Interested candidates should respond to: RA-OAODDTODGENERAL@PA.GOV