Boys and Girls Club of Western Pennsylvania
The BGCA is a non-profit organization that currently operates eight clubs in Allegheny County. Because of shifting demographic changes in the city of Pittsburgh over the last few years some of these clubs are no longer located in areas where they can best serve underprivileged youth populations.
The BGCA is attempting to locate other areas in the city and county that would be suitable locations for new club development or merger of existing club locations. This requires a data analysis of census and income information that they are not able to perform on their own.
Skillsets: Data analysis, Mapping, Spatial Analysis
Criminal Justice Reform with the Alliance for Police Accountability
Project leadership: Lizzie Silver and Lauren Renaud
We partnered with the Alliance for Police Accountability (APA) on a project that weaved together personal experiences from community interviews with data analysis of larger trends.
This project involved a thorough exploration of the overlapping and confusing boundaries and jurisdictions of police forces in the County. Read the project’s first fascinating analysis on our blog.
The APA’s core goals were to reverse the war on drugs, break up concentrated poverty and block the school to prison pipeline. Datasets we’re examining include the Allegheny County jail census, the Pittsburgh police blotter, Pittsburgh Department of Public Safety interactive reports and the American Community Survey.
If you’re interested in doing work in this area and exploring how to incorporate data into community organizing, join us by sending an email to email@example.com.
Specific Projects in this area:
- Crime and Development in Larimer
- Brandi Fisher from the Alliance for Police Accountability was interested in exploring crime hotspots in Larimer and comparing them to where new development is happening or is planned. This was pulled from the WPRDC police blotter dataset. Some of this had been plotted in the past from Code for Pittsburgh, but this project involved working directly with Brandi on Larimer questions.
- Skillsets: Mapping, Data Cleaning, Visualization, Qualitative and Quantitative analysis
- Allegheny County Sentencing Analysis
- Analyzing what factors impact lengths of sentences in negotiated plea deals using a dataset from the Pennsylvania Commission on Sentencing that includes race, gender, age, income, previous convictions, and level of offense.
- Skillsets: Data Cleaning, Analysis, Visualization, Machine Learning, Data Mining
Hazelwood Community Data Portal
SUDS members involved: Justin Cole, Donghun Kang, Clayton Oeth, Will Levine, and Eric Darsow
In partnership with the Greater Hazelwood Community Collaborative, SUDS members built a web-portal to feature the results of a community survey conducted to assess the civic interests and opportunities for service collaboration among residents of the Hazelwood neighborhood of Pittsburgh.
Project components involved analyzing survey data, mapping the results, creating a web-based portal, presenting the findings to community organizations in Hazelwood, and collaboration with artists local to Hazelwood.
Our data portal is here! Check it out!