Environmental Sensors HackNight
We are going to be using the ESDR dataset collected by various sensors across the country. The data is collated by .
- For simplicity, we filtered it only for Pittsburgh and only the sensors that have been active. If you need more data, it can be collected through https://esdr.cmucreatelab.org/browse/
- The file is a CSV file, with columns indicating the name, id , location of the sensor, and the observations it has been collecting, and at what times.
- Load the file into R, iPython, or wherever.
You can also check out other cool visualizations on this data here – http://explorables.cmucreatelab.org/
Discuss your ideas, cool observations here:
Sample Ideas for the ESDR data
- Mapping the sensors, and visualizing the pollution levels based on the neighborhood.
- Finding which neighborhoods are the worst in air-quality
- Combining with 311 data from WPRDC to figure out some cool stuff.
- Talk to people, and think what more can be done.
PS. If you want some tips on using Tableau to visualize data, this from a former SUDSer can get you started. The video starts with pulling data from a public API, which we’re not doing here, you’ll have to bring the data in manually, but after that follow along.
PPS. If you tweet / insta / etc… #SUDSWorkNight
Author: Vrishali Shah
Assistant Director of Digital Strategy